Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Lesson 9



                I typed in my name and birth date, it pulled up more than 400 results. I tried narrowing it by where I was born and gender and I got zero results. I tried several different ways and got nothing! I also searched for my brother and got nothing. I was able to find my parents with some searching. I next searched for my great-grandfather and was able to find him and the whole family on the 1940s census. I clicked a link to “find a Grave index” and was able to look at some pictures of him and the family. Overall, I was frustrated by the site, it was hard to find things and hard to navigate.
                During my search for South Dakota, I clicked on historical postcards and checked out some local ones of the Hot Springs area like a picture of the VA and the Evans Hotel. There was a big selection of post cards. It showed the name of what was illustrated on the post card and where in South Dakota it is located.
                I went into research aids, then clicked beyond basics, then on the link to “Black Sheep: 10 things to know.” It looked interesting and it was. The picture of the census record describing a man as having the occupation of “drunkard” made me laugh. A good resource if you know you have a black sheep in the family.
                In the maps section, I selected Hot Springs 1923-1942. Even when I clicked on the maps, they were tiny! I could not get them big enough to look at streets. On the first map, on the bottom was a bigger abstract of the South Dakota State Soldiers Home, which is still in use today.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you had trouble with these, Rachel. Sometimes there is a lot of stuff to sift through, and it seems difficult because there is SO MUCH information. Glad you made some good finds. In Sanborn Maps, we recommend using the Download feature, which downloads the image as a pdf. That way, it's easier to navigate & read. I'm not sure what the issue was with not being able to get the maps to enlarge, maybe something with the computer you were using? We hope you will remember these for patrons looking for this kind of information. Thanks for your work.

    ReplyDelete