Saturday, April 4, 2015

Lesson 8



                I searched for “Radium Girls” because it is a book I want to read. The number one result was “Body toxic; an environmental memoir” with 605 libraries having the book. The top library was Augustana College. The call number was 615/.902/09749. The author is Susanne Antonetta who has five other books. The book I was looking for “Radium Girls; women and industrial health reform, 1910-1935” is the sixth result. I typed in Radium, 326 results were presented with only about 80 in English. The book on “Radium” had a several links to books and internet sources and even a few links to Marie Curie.
                I selected “census snapshot” the link took me to a Williams Institute page on the census from 2008, I thought it would be an older one. The article was about the statistics of same-sex couples and unmarried couples, comparing the two. The author’s names were at the bottom. It looked like a good article that was backed up by facts and it appeared nonbiased.
                I clicked on “Star Pattern Quilt” not sure what it had to do with the term other than the creator was of the Sioux tribe. It gives you the title, creator, publisher, date started and ended, type, medium, format, identifier, and who owns the rights. You can view a small piece as a larger image, download it, print, rotate, fit to option, lie, full, and window. The community could use this site to learn about art, teach it, and obtain ideas for their own art like the quilt pictured. There are also many costumes that would be a great resource for local plays. I searched for “Rococo” because it’s the only art term I could think of. I exported the images I selected to PowerPoint. I brought them up as slides with rococo objects. The slide had the objects name, place it was found (website) and a description. It would be helpful if I was doing a presentation. And like the “Star Pattern Quilt” it had all the important information like type, creator, publisher and the information necessary for citing the image.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Rachel, this lesson was the most "librariany" of them all, and you conquered it. I love what you describe for CAMIO! Remember this when you get questions for images. Thanks for your work.

    ReplyDelete