Monday, March 30, 2015

Lesson 6



               When in the table of contents various important pages are shown such as cover, title page, etc. There are tabs for different subjects. I clicked lifestyle and social trends which gave me a chapter number and breakdown of the main topics in the chapter. The page number jumps you to the section that you select. The multi-volume one I selected was “novels for students”.  The table of contents lists the book title, author biography, plot summary, characters, themes, style, historical context, critical overview, and criticism. These are very good tools for teaching/ learning about a book. When on a book, the left side bar provides the user related subjects. It would be a good way to start a book report or an in-depth paper on a book.
                I searched for why is melatonin important for sleep, it didn’t bring up anything. I had to just search for the term melatonin. It brought up several articles about melatonin and several more where it is mentioned. I tried the listen feature, turned it way up on the box and on my computer, but nothing worked. I could tell that it highlights the text being played. The second term I searched for was insomnia. The search brought up articles about it, specifically, drugs associated, diseases, disorders, and medical conditions. The articles look good but again, the listen feature did not work. I could limit my search by document type, publication type and subject.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Rachel, I see that you learned that a general keyword search yields better results than a more specific phrase search. Sorry the Listen feature did not work for you. I think that issue has to do with the computer you use and whether the sound & speakers are turned up. I hope you could see that Gale Virtual Reference Library is one to remember when patrons need info about a topic beyond the basics. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete